Pancake drum kit

Ever since my trashcan bass drum project I’ve been trying to find the minimum requirements for making a drum. After a few sessions of use, the trashcan “bearing edge” started getting a little warped so I went back on the hunt for a new improvised shell. I asked myself, “Where can I find a round, sturdy object that fit drum heads?” It only took me a few days to realize that a DRUM SHELL would be a great option here, but only after cutting it down of course!

After selecting a few drums to become single-headed “pancake” drums, I used a jigsaw to cut a 5″ wide ring from an 18″ bass drum, a 3.5″ ring from a 13″ tom drum and a 3.5″ ring from an 11″ tom drum. After subjecting the drums to such brutal treatment, I thought they deserved a few coats of Danish oil gingerly applied.  Here are the results of the 18″ and 13″:

20190601_075909

With three new pancake drums in hand, I assembled them into an expanded busking kit. Here we are with my 10″ splash hats, 14″ crash, 16″ dark crash, 4″x10″ tiny snare plus the pancake 11″, 13″ toms and 18″ bass drum. Just look at how well this guy packs up!

20190615_08533820190629_092536

This entry was posted in Music. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s